Starting in 1935, numerous autarchic air bases were built as part of the National Socialist armament. The Luftkriegsschule Four in Fürstenfeldbruck – a prestigious military object.
On April 29, 1945, the American army liberated Fürstenfeldbruck from Nazi rule and used the air base as an airport for operations and supplies. From 1953 on, “Fursty” was an important training center for the USA and other NATO countries. On December 14, 1957, the air base was officially handed over to the German Air Force. Fürstenfeldbruck is still the central training center for young officers of the German Air Force.
With the abandonment of military use at the air base, not only an almost 80-year-old aviation tradition but also an equally long common history of the location and the city of Fürstenfeldbruck comes to an end.
Related links:Chronicle of the Air Base